From: Keith MacDonald (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-01 09:10:49

I can't see why this has to be so complicated. I either build my Windows
apps for DBCS or for Unicode, so use the narrow or wide Win32 file system
API accordingly. All that I want from boost::filesystem is a simple switch
that sets its mode at compile time. Doing that with a template parameter is
not going to cause any code bloat, and is neater than Microsoft's #ifdef
_UNICODE method.

I suppose some people may want to use narrow and wide APIs within a single
application, but they can't use boost::filesystem now anyway, so just keep
it simple.

- Keith MacDonald

"Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> Delfin Rillustration> So what I ask is a library that works everywhere,
just
> like you say.
> >
> > I understand your point about POSIX file systems but since the library
is
> > compiled for Windows _or_ for POSIX systems I think it would be possible
> > to compile for single char strings or double byte strings (UTF16).
Windows
> > systems solve this problem with the concept of TCHAR, a type that is
> > defined as a char or wchar_t depending on a preprocessor definition.
Then,