From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-03 03:09:22

Edward Diener wrote:

>> Yea, but whether as two separate file or one file, the size is still
>> twice as large. E.g. if on a typical Linux system, just one
>> application uses wide version, you have to install both wide and
>> narrow version. Here on my box, the size of /usr/lib in 1.2G. Making
>> it into 2.4G does not seem right ;-)
>
> Why would you install both a narrow character version and a wide character
> version if you are only going to use one or the other ? Of course if you
> have applications which use both, you need to install both, but that
> doesn't make every application twice as large.

I had in mind situation where there are two applications -- one which uses
narrow version and another which uses wide version. If each library is used
by several apps -- which is likely, and not all those apps agree and
narrow/wide question, you really need to install two versions for each
library.

- Volodya