From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-07-03 04:20:47

Keith MacDonald wrote:

> I have an MP3 player with a 40G hard drive, which puts your concerns about
> a 2.4G library into perspective.

Not quite. Whenever you do network install (which I happened to do), or
update packages (which is being done regularly on Linux boxes here), the
size matters much more that for local install.

> That's got to be a secondary issue,
> compared with the requirements for convenience and functionality, when
> designing a library.

This issue should be considered, at least. Speaking about convenience and
functionality, what's wrong with single path class which can accept both
narrow and wide strings?

> Regarding the overhead of narrow to wide conversion, that's what any
> Windows app suffers, every time it calls a Win32 API with a narrow string
> parameter. Inside the kernel, everything is in Unicode (ignoring
> Win9x/ME).

I know; do you mean this is an argument in favour of single implementation
(that's what windows kernel does), or two separate implementations?

- Volodya