From: Samuel (samuel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-08 19:25:13

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost-users_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, August 08, 2004 3:58 PM
Subject: [Boost-users] Re: bjam options

> Which Windows? I am using XP Pro here.

I am also using XP Pro.

> And if you immediately do the same thing without the quotes, in the
> same directory, what happens?

I got it figured out now. The double quotes do not matter, as you thought.
The problem is that bjam requires "boost-build.jam", even if just
"bjam --help" is used. So I was getting the error when it could not find
that and by coincidence I was using the double quotes. Then when I tried
without the double quotes, I must have been in the boost directory that made
bjam happy. That error message sure is unexpected if the only problem is an
unrecognized option. I was too quick to assume that bjam is stupid.

So if it is possible, the ideal solution would be to allow the help option
to work without requiring additional input/files. We might be confused by
use of double quotes, but since they are not needed unless they are needed,
I think we will figure things out. When double quotes are needed, then it
should be obvious to most of us when they are and how to use them.