From: Daniel Huber (dhuber_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-09 10:03:58

Hi,

I am a new user to Boost, and I am trying to compile and install Boost
for the first time. In the process, I have run into some problems that
the Boost maintainers may be interested in.

First, I was wondering if there is a specification as to which version
of gcc the Boost libraries are known to compile with. In particular, I
have a lot of code that only compiles under 2.95.3, and I get a lot of
error messages when compiling. Here's an example:
     /usr/bin/objcopy --set-section-flags .debug_str=contents,debug
"bin/boost/libs/test/build/libboost_test_exec_monitor.so/gcc/debug/shared-linkable-true/test_tools.o"

...failed gcc-C++-action
bin/boost/libs/test/build/libboost_test_exec_monitor.so/gcc/debug/shared-linkable-true/test_tools.o...

If it turns out that Boost is supposed to work with this version of gcc,
I can provide more detailed results. I think that due to the failures,
the libraries and include files were not installed by the bjam command.

Second, I noticed that the zip version of the latest release 1_31_0
contains files that are in windows format (ie, the files contain
carriage returns). I'm not sure whether this is intended, since most
people who download the zip extension will use it on windows. However,
if you try to install from a unix variant, you get very strange errors.
  Specifically, when running "sh build.sh" in the tools/build/jam_src
dir, the program dies with:

: command not found
: command not found
: command not found
'uild.sh: line 13: syntax error near unexpected token `()
'uild.sh: line 13: `echo_run ()

I don't know whether there are files with this problem outside the
tools/build/jam_src directory.

Finally, the link to the "boost public CVS repository" on the bug report
instructions page (http://www.boost.org/more/bugs.htm) is broken.

Sincerely,
Daniel Huber