From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-08-23 17:55:39

goochrules! <goochrules_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 23:32:14 +0200, Nicholas Cain
> <nik.cain.boost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> I saw yours and Davids posts, and thought it looked the same, but then I
>> realised yours was std::allocator< ... etc, while mine is
>> _STL::allocator<... . I find that when I use the normal std everything
>> works, but not when I try to use STLPort, so I'm confident I'm linking
>> to the libraries, but they don't
>> contain_STL::allocator<boost::function_base>
>> I don't know if this is a problem in the way I built boost or STLPort,
>> or with my makefile or environment.
>>
>> thanks for noticing though!
>>
>> nik
>
> I've seen this exact problem on Windows, in various forms: basically
> one of a) the application I was working on or b) boost was not linked
> against STLPort, but with the STL included with the compiler.
>
> To confirm this I looked at the dependencies of my project and the
> boost libraries (depends.exe on Windows, "otool -L" on OS X, otherwise
> "nm -j a.out | c++filt -_" and "nm -j a.out | c++filt-n" have been
> helpful.
>
> To solve this I specifically added the path the the STLPort includes
> (.h) first in the extra includes list (CFLAGS) and the path to the
> STLPort libraries (.[dll|dylib|so|a]) first in the extra libaries list
> (LDFLAGS).

When you build the Boost libraries for use with STLPort, pass the -d+2
option so you can see the command lines bjam issues. Make sure you
replicate the STLPort-related -D options when compiling your own code.
In particular, one of those options has an impact on what namespace
the standard library ends up in.

The most reliable way, of course, is to use Boost.Build to build your
own project and reference the Boost project libraries. That will
always make sure the options are compatible.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting