From: cswiger (cswiger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-15 10:03:55

Hello again - Here's details of what goes wrong while following the
instructions to Build and Install boost on Solaris 8:

1) Download
   Got boost_1_31_0.tar
       boost-build-2.0-m9.1.tar
       boost-jam-3.1.10.tar ok

2) Preparation
   Build yourself or use prebuilt. A prebuilt for Solaris 8 is not
   obviously available, so

      Build yourself:
         tar -xf boost-jam-3.1.10.tar
         cd boost-jam-3.1.10
         sh ./build.sh
            gcc detected ok
         cd bin.solaris
         cp * /usr/local/bin

         completed ok, now bjam, jam, mkjambase and yyacc are in PATH

      configure the tools
         many unix systems come preconfigured this way and require no
         user intervention.

3) Supported toolsets
      gcc
          g++ is in PATH
          might need to set -sGCC_STDLIB_DIRECTORY=/opt/csw/gcc3/lib

4) Build and install

      tar xf boost_1_31_0.tar
      cd boost_1_31_0
      bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" install

at this point the procedure fails and I get:

Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find build system.
/homes/chuck/src/boost_1_31_0/boost-build.jam attempted to load the build
system by invoking

  'boost-build tools/build/v1 ;'

but we were unable to find "bootstrap.jam" in the specified directory
or in BOOST_BUILD_PATH (searching
/homes/chuck/src/boost_1_31_0/tools/build/v1,/usr/share/boost-build).

Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.

Ok, so I go back and untar boost-build-2.0-m9.1.tar, cd into that where
there IS a "bootstrap.jam" file and try bjam "-sTOOLS=gcc" install again,
this time I get:

Failed to find the project root for directory '.'.
Did not find a project-root.jam file there or in any of its parent
directories. Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.

At this point I can't even guess what it wants.

Any clue welcome.

--Chuck