From: Murali Krishnan Ganapathy (gmkrishn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-09-16 19:28:37

I have traced the problem with mkdir, though whether the build completes
or not,
only time will tell (it is currently building the python and the C
libraries).

The problem with mkdir still baffles me. It is to do with the %TEMP% or
%TMP% variable.
On my machine both %TEMP% and %TMP% expand to "C:\Documents and
Settings\Maha & Murali\..."
I confirm this when I see the "environment variables" listing
(My Computer -> Properites -> Advanced -> Environment Variables). However
when I do a "SET" on the command prompt %TEMP% expands to "C:\DOCUME~1\..."
the underlying DOS file name.

I guess boost.jam creates the directory in TEMP and then moves it over
(why?).
When boost.jam tries to make a directory it tries to access %TEMP%.
Machine complains that there is no "C;\DOCUME~1\...." (it is not
checking the 8.3 version I guess)
and the mkdir1 fails.

The work around is to have a simple %TEMP% and %TMP%.
I reset %TEMP% and %TMP% to "C:\Temp" (no spaces and less than 8 chars),
now boost is
building as I write this.

I guess this should be considered as a minor bug in bjam?

- Murali