From: Ben Hutchings (ben.hutchings_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-18 10:08:48

arno.schaefer_at_[hidden] wrote:
> "Ben Hutchings" <ben.hutchings_at_[hidden]> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:<416D5B83.4090404_at_[hidden]>...
>
> > Why do you think you want suspend, resume and terminate? There are very
> > few safe uses for these operations, and programs that use them tend to
> > suffer from data corruption and/or deadlocks.
>
> I am in the situation, that I have a lot of existing C++ Code, which
> work in this way. All kind of threads are running in an endless loop and
> will be controlled from outside over the resume and terminate
> interfaces.

How do the threads communicate?

> I have to
> deliver a class what satisfy the given interface, because I will have no
> chance to rewrite all the other code, which run very well on our given
> plattforms (SUN, HP, AIX, Linux, Windows). So my point is, I want use
> the portable boost code as a base and manage the non portable parts by
> myself and looking now for the best way to do it without manipulating
> the boost source code.

It's not clear to me whether you already have a working portable
threading system. If you do, I don't understand why you need
Boost.Thread. If you don't, and you think you can combine a bunch of
single-threaded programs into one multithreaded program this way, I
believe you're making a mistake.

> > It would be fairly easy to add support for priority settings to
> > Boost.Thread, but since priority values are only meaningful in the
> > context of a scheduling policy and policies vary between operating
> > systems it would be hard to provide a genuinely portable priority
> > system.
>
> Can you link to some examples?

Examples of what?