From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-29 15:26:15

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:42:34 -0600, Brian Braatz wrote

> Thanks Jeff. I missed the boost workshop as there were 2 tutorials given
> that my boss insisted I attend which conflicted. I will be very
> interested to read the notes from that workshop. ( I did stop by around
> 12:30 for Dave A's talk on Python, but noone was there- must have still
> been at lunch)..

Yes, we went to lunch as a group and it took a bit longer than planned. And
sorry about your boss -- would have liked to get your voice into our discussion...

> One question-
> What is the intended usage of the Wiki of things folks are
> working on for potential boost submission? I ask because I am preparing
> some info to send out to the list and basically in a spot where I
> will be one of those folks. (or maybe I should just wait patiently
> for your notes and all will be revealed ? :) )

The kernel of the related discussion was:

1) make the Wiki 'official' including showing up under boost.org, even though
I'll still be hosting it (assuming we can figure out how to do this)
2) have a direct link from the boost main page to libraries under development page
3) have a standardized page layout for each new library under discussion/proposal
4) make adding a page part of the official proposal/development process
5) somehow enable uploads / fix file space without yahoo groups (it's full now)

So unfortunately I don't have direct guidance for you yet because I expect it
will take awhile before someone we create a template, discuss it, etc. I also
expect there will be some substantial reorganization of the current Wiki
structure to best enable this shift. BTW, the original motivation of the Wiki
was to support 'users', although we've clearly used it as much or more for
library development rather than user support. In fact, there was some strong
feeling that the Wiki wasn't doing very well on the user support side. So our
thinking about how best to do things is clearly evolving as time goes on. In
our discussion people seemed to agree that the Wiki is probably a good tool
for keeping track of these things that are in the 'chaotic'
proposal/discussion/tryout phase.

Jeff