From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-07 21:08:06

"Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "Arkadiy Vertleyb" <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> | Thorsten,
> |
> | I admit that my understanding of the problem was too simplistic, and
> | apologize for being judgmental.
>
> no apology needed; it's good to discuss things.
>
> | (although I still think ADL-based solutions should be avoided, if only
> | because of the GCC issue. Or, the GCC support should not be claimed)
>
> I am myself irritated by the need to say
>
> using namespace boost;
> some_range_fun( r );
>
> if nothing else, then because it is not super portable in itself.
>
> My suggestion have been to allow
>
> boost::some_range_fun(r);
>
> to support ADL via the requirement that users implement
>
> adl_some_range_fun(r);
>
> Can you confirm that this would remove the present problems with gcc?

I seriously doubt it. The problem is that GCC looks up all names the
same way, even if they're not functions. The only cure is for clients
to isolate types from one another in separate sub-namespaces, and
bring them into a usable common namespace via using-declarations :(

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting