From: Kelly Burkhart (kelly_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-13 16:21:30

On Sun, 2005-03-13 at 03:18, David Abrahams wrote:
> Rene Rivera <grafik.list_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > Rene Rivera wrote:

> >> Since you did not specify that you are using BBv2, which is not the
> >> latest as it's experimental, both Dave and I gave answers using
> >> BBv1.
> >> Suggestion, look at some of the tutorials in..
> >> http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v2/
> >> Boost Build System V2
> >
> > PS. Although the answer Dave gave should work for both BBv1 and BBv2 :-)
>
> Part of why I gave it. It's not very clear what the OP's intention
> is. To use BBv1 outside the Boost tree, remember, he must take
> special measures.

First, David & Rene, I apprecate your attempts to help me. I believe
that my assumptions must be different than a typical boost user. Either
that or I'm a bit more dense than the typical boost user.

I am assuming that a boost user (as opposed to a boost developer) would
be working on a machine which has boost installed somewhere outside his
home directory. General development would not take place within boost
directories. (I don't develop within Qt or libc source directories
either).

I am also assuming that boost.build is designed not just to build boost,
but to be a general make replacement.

Given these (possibly bogus) assumptions, there must be some way to
configure boost build (v1 or v2) so that you don't have to specify it's
location in every Jamfile.

So what are the 'special measures' one must take to accomplish this? Is
what I'm attempting to do peculiar?

RE: BBv1 vs. BBv2, the documentation says that BBv2 is "pretty usable
already." I figured if I'm starting from scratch I may as well use
latest and greatest. Do you recommend avoiding BBv2 until it's cooked?

TIA,

-K