From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-23 06:17:10

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>
>> If the problem you are trying to fix is that assert() does not give
>> enough information about the bug - and I haven't seen this
>> particular problem reported as a defect
>
> I interpreted Kevin's post this way -- Boost.Tread fails and does not
> produce any useful diagnostic.

The proper way to fix that is to make Boost.Threads not fail, right? That's
what invariant/"assertion" asserts are for - to catch bugs. They aren't an
error reporting mechanism.

>> - the proper way to fix it is to define an
>> user-overrideable callback.
>
> I think you're overgeneralising. If assert prints an error message and
> exits, then what's the problem with printing one extra diagnostic
> message before assert?

None (if you are sure that this is what assert does, of course - this is
platform specific), except that the asserts should not fire. So spending
time and effort to make something happen when the asserts fire is not
productive.