From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-19 17:16:40

"Tom Quarendon" <tomq_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> In the filesystem rationale documentation there are references to the
> need and desire to represent paths on OS/390. However I can find no
> documentation about how this is achieved.
> Does the filesystem path class support OS/390 paths such as the syntax
> for PDSE members or DDnames? If so are there some examples?

Hard to know how to answer this. In theory, yes, but subject to various
worries:

* It has never been tested (at least by me or anyone else public reporting
the Boost regression test results). There were a couple of emails back and
forth with an OS/390 product manager, and I read some of the documentation
that is online.

* The internationalized version currently under development (and scheduled
for Boost 1.34 rather than 1.33) is better at just passing paths on to the
operating system without modification. So you might have to wait for that.

* IIRC, POSIX paths are supposed to be recognized by OS/390 (along with
several other notations.) I'm not sure if a programmer has to do something
to enable POSIX paths, or they "just work." But because POSIX paths are know
to work correctly in general, that is where I would suggest starting to
test. If they work, then try some of the native exotic notations.

I'm very interested in understanding what has to be done to get
Boost.Filesystem to work with operating systems beyond the usual
Windows/Mac/Linux/Unix world. So please feel free to raise issues as you run
into them.

Thanks,

--Beman