From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-20 18:15:27

Rene Rivera wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>
>>Rene Rivera wrote:
>>

>>>Edward Diener wrote:
>>>
>>>First off... This documentation is being worked on. Thankfully not by
>>>me, as I make a bad documenter in this case since I wrote the install
>>>support.
>>
>>The general install instructions are very good. It is just this area of
>>explaining where everything goes that I find poor, as if it does not matter to
>>the end-user. It does matter since the end-user may well need to know where the
>>build of Boost for a particular compiler ends up putting files.
>

> This applies as a general answer to some things below. Yes, explanations
> for all this should be added to the documentation. And I'm responding so
> I, and hopefully the persons updating the docs, can find out what you
> and other users think should be added :-)
>
> Unfortunately I don't have any link I can point to for the documentation
> rewrite. So I can't head off things that may have already been addressed :-(
> snipped...

I just want to say thank you for the detailed information you provided. It would
be very nice if such an explanation became part of a link in the Boost build
documentation, or if more of an explanation were given inline. I was remiss
myself in trying to equate the bjam options in the Boost build documentation to
the places where the files would end up, but I also think that the sort of
clearer explanation which you gave me should be in the Boost build documentation
in some form.

The rest of the Boost build documentation is generally well written so I think
it is mainly this area, of where things are put depending on what options are
chosen when doing an initial Boost build, that needs to be improved.