From: Paul Johnson (gt54-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-11 03:35:32

I've had delivery turned off for the last month, so this probably won't
thread correctly...

This is similar to the issue of modelling logic in hardware description
languages. Verilog, for example, has a 4-value type which is pretty much
identical to tribool, except that it adds an additional 'tristate'
value. Some objects default unknown, some tristate.

VHDL has a more comprehensive (user-defined) 9-value logic type, which
defaults to uninitialised. Logic on this type is fairly complex, but it
includes both the obvious uninit and unknown semantics, and objects
default to uninitialised. Having something like this as a tribool
extension would be *very* useful. At a minimum, a usable type should
have 4 values (U,0,1,X for uninit,0,1,unknown) and should default to U.

Maybe I'll get around to this one day... :)

Paul