From: Richard Newman (richard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-11 12:18:41

I appreciate your reply.

With it coming from an RPM, I think I can only tell if it were linked in
multi-thread mode by looking at its dependencies (there is no _mt_gcc
type suffixes on the libraries since they are just copied into /usr/lib
by the RPM). The dependencies include libpthread, so I'm going to
assume from that multi-threaded mode has been used to build the
libraries for the package. When we built Boost directly, we generally
used the _mt_gcc version.

Nominally, we don't need pthreads right now in our test case as none of
the tests seem to directly invoke mutexes. However, the library we are
building the test suite to cover does include mutex support. (We
recently began to use the Boost test framework to automate unit testing
and so we have been adding tests as we touch code during refactors, etc.
so our test coverage is not at all complete yet). In any case, linking
with pthread on my FC4/gcc4.0.1/boost1.32.0-6rpm worked fine. I do
think though that a library reference might be to blame, I just don't
know where to look.

I could certainly do a trivial single test case. However, I had avoided
  such an approach because to compare apples to apples, the best is to
leave everything in place and comment out all the unit tests, adding
back in a single one. From there though, I could start to tear apart
the make files and note when things changed. I'm probably left with
that as the only real diagnostic now; I was hoping the symptoms were
indicative of some library, etc., missing that I was ignorant of.

Thanks,
Richard