From: James E Taylor (james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-18 05:22:25

Are you sure there are no guarantees for function scope statics?

I think the following is thread safe:

void
my_func()
{
    static pthread_mutex_t m = PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER;
    pthread_mutex_lock(&m);
    // do something once
    pthread_mutex_unlock(&m);
}

because the C-style PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER doesn't involve a constructor call: the static is initialised before _any_ threads are running.

Also, constructors of global statics are not guaranteed to be single-threaded for the same reason you can't safely reference one static from the constructor of another (The Static Initialisation Order Fiasco); one constructor could create a thread that goes and uses an uninitialised static, whilst the main thread tries to initialise it.

Do you know whether the mutex ctor is thread-safe?

--
James E Taylor
james_at_[hidden]