From: Parveen Kaler (pkaler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-13 21:18:33

David Abrahams <dave <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> On the Boost.Build list we were just discussing the fact that some
> people otherwise inclined towards Boost have chosen Scons over
> Boost.Build. It would be useful for us to understand some of the
> reasons why, if some of you wouldn't mind letting us know. No flames,
> please!

You'll want to read Noel Llopis' blog, particularly this entry:
http://www.gamesfromwithin.com/articles/0506/000092.html

The above article contains hard performance numbers comparing Jam, Make, Scons,
and MSVC.

It has also been discussed many times over the last year or so on the SWEng
list. http://news.gmane.org/gmane.games.devel.sweng

The main discussion points have been about fast incremental builds, distributed
builds, cross-platform (PC, XBox, PS2, GameCube), integration with existing
development tools, and integration with binary asset build tools.

Someone else mentioned the importance of support for precompiled headers,
Edit-and-Continue support is important too. I'm not sure what the current state
of support in Boost.Build is.

Parveen