From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-11 16:31:19

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

>> We are working on a library for parallel computing that uses the
>> serialization library to ship data via MPI. If you reject the
>> proposed integration of fast array serialization into the library, we
>> will need to encourage 3rd-party authors of serialization for types
>> containing arrays to use some non-standard fast mechanism ...
>
> of course this is what I haven't seen.

What haven't you seen?

> I would expect that a "fast...archive" would include the specific
> functionality for certain types.

Like what types? double for example? What interface would you propose
for serializing an array of doubles?

> Then users of those types with those archives would automatically
> benefit from the specialized functionality

Not unless the authors of serialize functions all use the specialized
functionality when it's available.

> while preserving compatibility with other archive types. this has
> been done before - for example strings are serialized differently in
> some archives as opposed to others. I havn't seen anythiing
> differentabout this situation.

Strings are a closed set of types. In this situation we have a large
_category_ of otherwise-unrelated types that can benefit from one
particular optimization. But that benefit can only accrue if the
authors of serialization functions use a specialized interface for
array serialization whenever possible.

>> Every way we can think of to accomplish that
>> eventually leads to something that feels like "hijacking" the library.
>> We _really_ don't want to do that.
>
> OK - I'll take another look at mattias code and see what can be done.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting