From: Peter Whaite (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-12 17:38:06

Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> the copy_collection was an experiment on work has been suspended and
> probably not be implemented, and if it were implemented, would be
> implemented differently in anycase.

Ok. Thanks.

> b) Just specify a serialize function for the particular map you are
> using.
> e.g.
>
> template<class Archive>
> void serialize(Archive & ar, std::map<my_class> > & t, const unsigned int
> version){
> // for each member in the map
> ar & *it;
> }
>
> I believe that b) would be a good solution for you.

Yes thats ok, but I was serializing more than one map in the same class
and I wanted to maintain the separation in xml. I guess I'd have to
derive my own map I lazily trying to avoid that.

> You post clarifies one point in particular. My version implements the
> most commonly desired behavior - but not the only behavior people
> might want. In other words - there is not always agreeement on what
> it means to "restore" something. And in fact the serialization
> implementation uses both and some time its confusing.

Yes I agree, though in my case, now I know the limitation, its not
difficult to refactor. I do find the refactoring (conditionally
initialize after a load) a little forced however.

Thanks again for the response.

--
Peter Whaite.