From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-19 21:28:25

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:18:23 -0600, Rob Lemley wrote
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > They are probably included in the "universe" component, which doesn't
> > have the same level of support. It's not enabled by default but should
> > be easily accessible.
>
> On Ubuntu, I think if you edit /etc/apt/sources.list you will see
> that by un-commenting a line in sources.list you can get access to
> the entire ubuntu archive, including Universe.
>
> You can see that Ubuntu provides the boost packages:
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ls-lR.gz
>
> If you're new to Ubuntu/Debian, then I would advise against mixing
> binary packages.
>
> If you really need a package that's available on Debian but not
> Ubuntu, it's probably safer to do "apt-get source" and build the package
> yourself (though I haven't tried this on Ubuntu). This is especially
> true with C++ libraries, because of Compiler ABI changes, stdc++ library
> changes, etc which can make binaries very incompatible, sometimes
> with only a link warning that flies by your screen. Next thing you
> know your app is core dumping without a clue...

It would be really fabulous if members of the debian and ubuntu communities
got together and provided additions to the Boost documentation set -- either
in the form of pointers or written instructions that could go on the getting
started page. Now that Boost is getting put into lots of distros it would be
nice to have documentation on the Boost page that would point people to
instructions for their 'native os'. This would really help simplify things
for new users. Any volunteers?

Jeff