From: Rich Johnson (rjohnson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-23 10:27:06

Today 09:06:47 am

Hi folks--

I'm looking for a peer-reviewed solutions for managing versions (dll
compatibiity, data formats, etc.).  If they exist, they're pretty
hard to find.   ( FWIW, searches with the terms "version"  or
"versioning" aren't very helpful :-()

To date all I've been able to find are ad hoc discussions on matching
a specific version.  Ultimately, I _think_ I'm looking for
   1) a base class for a version specification
   2) a range for version compatibility
   3)a mixin class (with compatibility check methods) for objects
requiring version compatibility.

The two use cases I have in mind are:
   1) - an application wishes to verify compatibility of a dlopen()'d
module as well as the compatibility of its separately compiled objects.
   2) - a decoder wishes to verify compatibility with a data file
being decoded.

Have there been any discussions on this topic in the boost domain?
If so, how would I find it?

Any one have ideas where else I could look?  Or any useful codewords to search
for.

Thnx
--rich