From: Drumheller, Michael (michael.drumheller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-07 11:40:52

>>> Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 09:12:31 -0500
>>> From: Deane Yang <deane_yang_at_[hidden]>
>>> Subject: Re: [Boost-users] Getting started with Boost: what did you
need to know?

>>> bjam *is* difficult to learn at first. For me one reason
>>> was simply how alien it looks compared to an IDE or make.
>>> And until recently the documentation was simply incomprehensible.
>>>
>>> Although I'm really looking forward to the new
>>> documentation Dave is going to write, the existing
>>> documentation of Boost Build v2 is really not too bad for
>>> learning how to compile and link libraries and executables.

I have shied away from boost.build v2 because it says on the opening
page "an *onging project* to rewrite Boost.Build" at
<<http://www.boost.org/tools/build/v2/>>--I always assumed it was not
ready fro prime time. Sounds like you're saying that, from a doc point
of view, it is a good resource for learning v1. I'll check it
out--thanks.

>>> And once you've got the hang of it, building software on
>>> different platforms (I've done it on Windows, Linux,
>>> Solaris, MacOSX) is incredibly easy and can be done using a
>>> single Jamfile.

Do you mean that you have adopted bjam as your day-to-day build tool?
Just curious.

Mike D.