From: Pavol Droba (droba_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-07 04:17:53

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:29:58PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:

> > Well, this is a more complicated point. Small optimization you are proposing
> > does not really make any difference. I have read a paper (I don't remember where),
>
> Why not?
> Isn't a simple compare much faster than two table lookup?

Ok, maybe you are right. One compare will not cost much and it can speedup few cases.

> > where author proposes to cache the results of tolower during the comparison.
>
> I'm not sure how that would work, could you explain?

I don't remember the details. The idea was to eliminate some of the virual calls,
that take place when dealing with locales. The algorihtm was described on several pages.
Unfortunaltely, I forgot where I have seen that paper.

Regards,
Pavol