From: John Read (jread.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-23 13:07:09

I have to work on Windows, but I don't have any idea about
compilers and environments on this platform. My preference
would be to use a CygWin environment with MinGW's gcc compiler
to facilitate setting up a scripted nightly build incorporating
Boost and my own code. Some others might want to use native
Microsoft compilers and tools though.

  Steps so far:
1) Got/installed MinGW: MinGW-5.0.0.exe
2) Got/installed Boost: boost_1_33_1.exe
3) Opened Cygwin terminal and added MinGW/bin to path
4) cd-ed to boost_1_33_1/tools/build/jam_scr
5) . build.sh > result.txt

  Got these errors in results.txt:
  ###
### Using 'gcc' toolset.
###
rm -rf bootstrap
mkdir bootstrap
gcc -o bootstrap/jam0 command.c compile.c execnt.c execunix.c execvms.c expand.c filent.c fileos2.c fileunix.c filevms.c glob.c hash.c hdrmacro.c headers.c jam.c jambase.c jamgram.c lists.c make.c make1.c newstr.c option.c parse.c pathunix.c pathvms.c regexp.c rules.c scan.c search.c subst.c timestamp.c variable.c modules.c strings.c filesys.c builtins.c pwd.c class.c native.c modules/set.c modules/path.c modules/regex.c modules/property-set.c modules/sequence.c modules/order.c
execunix.c:19:24: sys/times.h: No such file or directory
  execunix.c: In function `execwait':
  execunix.c:187: error: storage size of 'old_time' isn't known
  execunix.c:187: error: storage size of 'new_time' isn't known
  fileunix.c:95:17: ar.h: No such file or directory
  fileunix.c: In function `file_archscan':
  fileunix.c:232: error: storage size of 'ar_hdr' isn't known
  fileunix.c:241: error: `SARMAG' undeclared (first use in this function)
  fileunix.c:241: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
  fileunix.c:241: error: for each function it appears in.)
  fileunix.c:242: error: `ARMAG' undeclared (first use in this function)

  I suspect that there is more involved in getting a proper Windows
development environment set up.
  A simple list of steps would be great. If none exists,
I will provide one to the group once I have this sorted out.

  Thanks,
  John