From: Dave Steffen (dgsteffen_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-03-29 18:25:51

Hi folks,

I've got a Boost::Python compatibility question. Our application is
written in python, with a bunch of math stuff written in C++ and
access from python via Boost::Python.

Having recently rebuilt from scratch, the python code (which formerly
worked) now produces an (almost) immediate core dump:

./run_gui.sh: line 3: 25950 Segmentation fault (core dumped) python gui/bntd_gui.py $*

GDB is generally unhelpful, but it _looks_ like the problem happens
while it's loading shared libraries; that is, the core dump indicates
that Python is dying somewhere at the end of the "load shared
libraries" stage.

Does anybody have any advice? What sorts of things might cause this?
Might a mismatch be a compiler-used-for-building-python vs
compiler-used-for-building-my-app incompatibility?

I'm using python 2.3.3 (built with GCC 3.4.1), and building the C++
code into shared libs with GCC 3.3.1 (not the same!).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dave Steffen, Ph.D. Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists
Software Engineer IV suffer it. Some can avoid it. Geniuses
Numerica Corporation remove it.
ph (970) 419-8343 x27 -- Alan Perlis
fax (970) 223-6797
dgsteffen_at_[hidden]