From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-02 11:17:00

Mateusz Łoskot wrote:
> Pavel Vozenilek wrote:
>> "Mateusz Łoskot" wrote:
>>
>>> Today, I tried to extract smart pointers library from Boost tree
>>> using bcp tool.
>>> 3. I run bcp --cvs --list to see how many files are related to
>>> smart_ptr.hpp (and shared_ptr.hpp too).
>>>
>>> My only question is if this is normal that smart_ptr extraction
>>> weight is about 2.8MB ? Are there any options that can be used to
>>> make this package smaller?
>>>
>> bcp tool is very pessimistic and errs on safety side.
>
> I can understand the first point, but what does "errs on safety side"
> mean exactly?
> Are you trying to say using bcp is not recommended because it may be not
> safe (for some reason) and I should avoid it?

Pavel said the "bcp tool ... errs on safety side" not smart pointers.
The bcp tool includes any referenced "libraries" from smart_ptr in your
case. So it may be that:

a. smart_ptr only uses MPL for some compilers but not yours. It doesn't
distinguish as it doesn't try and decipher the preprocessor code. Just
that a file has "#include" some other file.

b. It may be that smart_ptr includes only 1 isolated file of another
library, but it may copy over more than just that file to be safe.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything