From: Lynn Allan (l_d_allan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-11 12:59:18

<alert comment="stl newbie">

vc7.1 Visual C++ user:

Sorry if this has been asked before. My impression is that this is the
nature of templates, since code is being generated as objects are
instantiated.

Are there guidelines for speeding up compilation/linkage of code that
moderately/heavily uses templates? It seems to take a looooong time,
even on a relatively modern development computer.

Precompiled headers don't seem to help .... perhaps it is
counter-productive to use precompiled headers with stl/boost? Or I'm
ignorant about proper usage?

Are there vc7.1 / vc8 settings to speed up development? GCC?

Is this #define applicable (and/or perhaps others):
BOOST_MPL_USE_PREPROCESSED_HEADERS

</alert>