From: Lynn Allan (l_d_allan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-24 09:25:18

John Krajewski wrote:
> I'm new to generic programming and finding the various concepts used
> in Boost quite confusing (named parameters, property maps, etc). Is
> there general documentation for the programming methods used in
> Boost? Perhaps a good book to buy?

<alert comment="boost newbie">

Welcome to the club of confused, disoriented newbies <g>.

Several suggestions:

* Start with a VERY basic library and try to absorb "The Boost
Mentality".

* Stair-step up to a somewhat more difficult library ... repeat as
necessary

* At this point, the Karlsson book, "Beyond the C++ standard library"
might be helpful. For my purposes, the book had helpful regex examples
(but regex is already relatively well documented, at least compared to
several of the other Boost libraries I've wrestled with. Xpressive is
very well documented, IMHO)

* Adapt a mindset that learning Boost is critical to your career, so
giving up is not an option. (and when your neurons align "just so",
Boost is kinda fun <g>)

* Also a humble attitude ... you are "rubbing shoulders" with some
very smart people who are VERY busy, but passionate about Boost
prevailing in the marketplace.

* Keep notes to share with others to perhaps shorten their learning
curve.

I've found participants on this list to be VERY helpful and patient
with newbies, but they won't write your code for you.

</alert>