From: James Hughes (JHughes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-24 11:35:48

> From: "James Hughes" <JHughes_at_[hidden]>
> > My pet one is simple loading and saving of configuration
> information in
> > XML.
> > Which library should/can I use for that? Serialisation? Or
> is there a
> > better
> > option? Or is there a boost lib in the wings perhaps aimed at that
> > particular task?
>
> I'm assuming you are not following the current raging debate
> on the boost
> developers list, then. Your criterion is 'simple' meaning
> simple to use, I
> take it....

Not following the developer list, but have seen the library in the 'up and
coming' sectioon, hence the slightly loaded question!!

> Currently being reviewed is just such a library, property_tree.
>
> It solves this particular constrained problem relatively
> simply but isn't to
> everyone's taste in design and implementation.
>
> The current debate has an element of 'purist vs pragmatist'
> programming.

I'm purely pragmatic myself...

> A 'simple' configuration file library *could* have multiple
> layers and
> components to decouple many different elements of design. In
> becoming more
> useful and extensible as separate components with clearly
> defined roles, it
> may perhaps be seen as less easy to use for this one role.
>
> That said, good motivating examples in documentation *can*
> make a seemingly
> complex collection of interacting classes seem just as simple
> as a dedicated
> 'property tree' as currently proposed.

I think that is am important point - an 'example' paints a thousand words as
it were.

I would add that a 'pragmatic' example is the best sort!

> Sit down, relax and read the many current threads on the
> developer list or
> just go to the boost vault and download property_tree rev 5,
> then run for
> cover.
>
> > Another is Boost::graph - I see lots of questions about it
> on the list,
> > but
> > what real world problems does it solve?
>
> On a more serious note, I completely agree (in general). A few more
> motivating examples of problems solved would benefit both
> existing and
> potential new users.

Quite.

James