From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-08 12:30:13

> Any ideas how to increase the performance of the new code here? A
> factor of 10 makes it seem like I am just missing something important.

I would suspect it's the loop that's at fault, although very I'm surprised
it's a factor of 10. Your original code had the loop unrolled, so you might
try a bit of template metaprogramming to achieve the same effect here.
Otherwise you're going to have to do a bit of debugging and/or inspection of
the assembly generated.

BTW the measurements you made were in release mode right? If inline
expansions are turned off (debug mode for example) the operators-based
version may well pass through many more function calls. Of course these all
disappear as long as your compiler does a reasonable job of inlining.

HTH, John.