From: Tim Milward (tim.milward_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-08 17:40:00

> Ok, I misunderstood how local transitions work. An innermost state where
> any of its direct *or* *indirect* outer states define local transitions
> behaves as if all those local transitions originated at the state
> itself. I guess we'll have to go the sc::local_transition /
> sc::simple_state::transit_locally route then...

It seems I'm the one who misunderstood. I've dug a little deeper and
your are right that the difference between local and external is just
one level of entry/exit actions. So your approach of adding an
intermediate state does work.

 From the UML specs it's hard to extract the exact definition of a local
transition.
http://www.johndeacon.net/UML/UML_Appendix/Generated/UML_Appendix_behavioral.asp
discusses this subject and warns about the pitfalls of using composite
states to de-clutter a state machine.

[I think there is a more general concept here, the same as having an nth
level history, a transition could have a level specification, n=0 is
external, n=1 is local, and n=infinity is the way I misinterpreted local
transitions. I need some real practical examples ...]