From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-11 04:17:16

Conway Allen ha escrito:

> Regarding thread safety, if threads are concurrently reading,
> inserting, and erasing entries in a multi-index container do you have to
> lockguard all of these operations or can you get away with just
> lockguarding the inserts and the deletes?

You have to lockguard every access to the container; note this
also includes, for instance, container traversal with iterators,
i.e. iterator displacement. Strictly speaking, iterator dereference
should also be lockguarded, although I can say unofficially that
unguarded dereference is OK.

The kind of thread-safety provided by B.MI (and by most
STL implementations) is described at SGI docs:

http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/thread_safety.html

> Thanks, Allen.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo