From: Ed Johnson (ed_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-15 14:17:22

Sebastian Redl wrote:
> Ed Johnson wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to use shared_ptr to manage stringstreams, and still
>> use the << operator on the stringstream?
>>

> You're doing it. The only problem with this code is a misunderstanding
> of how the stringstream constructor works.
>
> Sebastian Redl

Thanks, I see where I was not using the correct constructor before.
However, even when I use the proper one, I get the same results. I
cannot get the '<<' operator to append to the original string that I
pass using the stringstream constructor. It still begins at the first
character and begins overwriting the string.

//constructor syntax
explicit stringstream ( openmode mode = in | out );
explicit stringstream ( const string & str, openmode mode = in | out );

//updated code
boost::shared_ptr< std::stringstream > sharedStream(new
std::stringstream("hello world", std::stringstream::out));

Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks,

Ed