From: Antonio Piccolboni (piccolbo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-17 14:46:12

As I said in a former message that I am afraid fell through the
cracks, sorry if I am repeating myself, I don't think rewriting the
whole STL algorithm lib for multi_array is a solution. for_each,
accumulate, sort, where do we stop? I recently needed to apply random
shuffle, for instance. I think the solution is to define iterators
that provide a "flat", element by element view of a multi_array. These
iterators would be regular skip iterators that just a have a fancy
increment operation that looks at the stride vector to decide by how
much to jump when incremented. Let's say that these are returned by
begin_element and end_element. Then you could do on multi array ma
things like

for_each(ma.begin_element(), ma.end_element(), do_something())

or

accumulate(ma.begin_element(), ma.end_element(), 0)

and so on for all STL algorithms, all the statstical functions that I
wrote (GPLed, maybe the beginning of a boost stats lib?, mail me if
interested) and more.
I've been using data() and data()+num_elements for the same purpose,
but that breaks for non contiguos storage (that is, not guaranteed to
work for views)

I don't think rewriting all the algorithms for multi_array is a viable
strategy, nor is in keeping with the idea that data structures and
algorithms should be made as ortogonal as reasonably possible. Just
my 2c

Antonio

You can do that right now with data() and data() + num_elements