From: Andrew Holden (aholden_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-19 10:13:55

I was just checking over my suggestion and realized that clock() is not a good choice for seeding the generator, especially with my optimization. It returns the amount of time since the process started, which in a static initializer for a global variable, will provide very low entropy. In a few test runs, it even returned 0, which caused an assertion failure in the random number library.

An ideal solution would be to use random_device, which is defined in boost/nondet_random.hpp. You could then replace the definition of generator with something like this:

//Declare the generator as a global variable for easy reuse
random_device nondet_generator;
base_generator_type generator(nondet_generator());

If random_device isn't implemented on your platform, then you can look into other ways to seed the generator. On my system (Windows XP running VC8) I used GetTickCount(), which returns the number of milliseconds since Windows started.

As a last resort, you could call clock() after the user has entered something, either the normal data entry for your program (preferred), or a special request to hit enter.

Does anybody else know of other good sources of entropy to seed the generator?

I also found that the loop to seed the generator (initialize() in my version) doesn't really help, since the seed function completely replaces the current value of the generator; it doesn't combine with the previous value.