From: Russell Hind (rh_gmane_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-09 08:27:06

Peter Dimov wrote:

> Yes, the matrix is a complete record of all libraries against all supported
> compilers. If you look at
>
> http://engineering.meta-comm.com/boost-regression/CVS-RC_1_33_0/user/summary.html

But what this doesn't allow you to do is, for a new release, so which
libraries have dropped/added support for your compiler.

What I've always wanted to see (and have asked for before) is a
difference between releases so I can see if it is worth me trying to
upgrade to the latest version of boost or if I'm wasting my time because
an important part of an important library no longer supports my compiler.

The only answer at the moment seems to be try it and see, or some how
work out which, out of all the regression tests, for all the libraries
we use, are applicable to us still pass. I don't think this is a very
easy thing to do.

Therefore, it isn't easy to persuade management that we should invest
time in moving to the newer version of boost, because we don't have an
easy way of knowing if it is actually possible or not.

Cheers

Russell