From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-10 00:44:59

__PPS__ wrote:

> I have some questions about the way bjam implements dependencies tracking.

You might want to post to the Boost build list to get further details
and answers <http://boost.org/more/mailing_lists.htm#jamboost>.

> I need a tool that would do this for a project that uses gcc. (it
> doesn't use gmake and not entire gnu toolset is available)
>
> does bjam by iteself parses all the source files, looking for incldues
> and then parses them to see any updates, or gcc does it?

Bjam does the parsing entirely on its own. Some details in:
<http://engineering.meta-comm.com/resources/cs-win32_metacomm/doc/html/jam/usage.html#jam.usage.operation.binding.headerscan>,
and
<http://engineering.meta-comm.com/resources/cs-win32_metacomm/doc/html/jam/language.html#jam.language.variables.builtins.hdrscan>.

> by the way I downloaded bjam sources and wanted to build it and on one
> machine it gave me absolutely weird results (compilation went fine, but
> on linking I saw some strange output with strings from registry):
> Compiling...
> order.c
> Generating Code...
> Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 8.00.50727.42
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here]
> Settings\Temp\deleteme.r
> eg
> "@=Command &Prompt Here" Settings\Temp\deleteme.reg
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Command Prompt Here\command]
> Settings\Temp\de
> leteme.reg
> "@=cmd.exe /k cd %1 " Settings\Temp\deleteme.reg
> LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
> '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory
> \shell\Command.obj'
> C:\PAVEL\gnu_tools\tools\build\jam_src>

That is really weird, given that vc8 is what I used to build the
binaries for release. Which version are you trying to build? I ask
because the sources where restructured some time ago and we no longer
use the "build/jam_src" location.

> Same ... with vs71

You might want to watch your language. This is a public forum with a
wide range of participant ages and philosophies.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything