From: William Kemper (wkemper_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-30 21:15:23

The fill method on mb_from_wchar calls std::wctomb, which is backed by
'WideCharToMultiByte'. This function uses the codepage defined in the
current locale, however, the utf-8 codepage does not function properly
on VC++ 7 or 8. Would it be difficult to have the conversion use the
code_cvt facet defined for the stream underlying the archive? It also
seems that doing so would ensure serialization / deserialization would
be more consistent and self-sufficient, since neither process would
depend on a (mutable) global locale setting. At any rate, the
serialization library works with certain window's codepages, but *not*
with the utf-8 codepage (65001). It would be nice to have the library
use its own utf8_code_cvt facet to translate wide characters to
multibyte. If there is some work around I'm not aware of, I would
appreciate any advice. Thanks.