From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_users_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-07 12:50:36

Dear All,

I am having trouble using the integer library. The following fails
to compile:

#include <boost/integer.hpp>

template <int bits>
void fn(void)
{
  //typedef boost::uint_t<8>::least t;
  typedef boost::uint_t<bits>::least t;
  t var;
}

int main(int argc, char* argv)
{
  fn<8>();
}

With g++ 4.0.0 on Linux and Boost 1.32, I get:

boost_int_test.cc: In function ‘void fn()’:
boost_int_test.cc:7: error: expected initializer before ‘t’
boost_int_test.cc:8: error: ‘t’ was not declared in this scope
boost_int_test.cc:8: error: expected `;' before ‘var’

The problem seems to occur when I use a template parameter - "bits"
in this case - as the template parameter to uint_t. If I use a
constant (as in the commented-out line) it works.

Is this a C++ feature, or a bug somewhere? Can anyone suggest a
workaround?

Thanks,

Phil.