From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-08 09:48:12

John Maddock wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Johan Råde wrote:

>> The compiler is allowed to statically initialize anything it can, and
>> in this case VC 7.1 does.
>
> True. Although there are other benefits that POD'ness brings: union
> support, pass through elipsis etc. However, since those are less
> useful, I might be persuaded that the fix is OK after all if VC7.1
> really does the right thing by static initialisation.

>> We aren't actually testing static array initialization, are we? How
>> do we know that it works at all? :-)
>
> Um, good question. It is very important though.

Adding a test case will accomplish three things:

1. It will show that we consider the feature important,
2. It will ensure that it works,
3. It will allow us to verify that patches don't break it.

The nice thing is that all this will happen automatically without anybody
needing to persuade anyone else. :-)

Likewise, adding a test case for the original 7.1 problem could allow us to
address its failure by other, more focused, means instead of going with the
suggested fix.

Test-first and all that. :-)