From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-26 13:28:54

Johan Råde wrote:

>> But no one has been motivated to actually do this so far.
>
> I'm working on such facets still for handling non-finite floating
> point numbers (infinity and NaN).
> I have code that works fine for float and double,
> but there are still some problems to be resolved for long double.
> And yes, the code has a facility for trapping infinity and NaN,
> if you so wish.
>
> --Johan

Sorry, I should have mentioned this. I had thought that the idea
of trapping the undefined behavior was abandoned for lack of
interest. I'm glad to see I was wrong about this. I looks like
you might want to include bools in this as well.

As I recall, part of the problem with "trapping" was which exception
to throw. Maybe this might be best handled the way other
stream errors are handled - but setting a status flag and requiring
that the user check it.

As you can see, this is a recurring topic. I believe it will be
helpful to serialization, lexical_cast and perhaps others. Also
it may appeal to those of us programmers with slightly
"paranoid" personalities who are convinced that everyone
else is out to catch us.

Robert Ramey