From: Lawrence Spector (Lawrence.Spector_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-31 16:04:13

I'm running on WinXP with VS7.1 and Boost v1.33.1. I compiled and tried
it and was able to reproduce the error. Whenever you open a file, you
should always do a check on file.fail() to make sure it opened
successfully. You didn't, so you didn't realize the error happened
earlier. Boost correctly threw an exception when you tried to check the
size of the file.

#include <boost/filesystem/operations.hpp>
#include <fstream>
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
        try
        {
    // Create a file
    using namespace std;
    const string fileName("/temp/test.txt");
    ofstream file;
    file.open(fileName.c_str());
        if (file.fail())
        {
                throw std::runtime_error("Unknown file");
        }
    const string message("this is a test");
    file << message;
    file.close();

    const boost::intmax_t fileSize =
boost::filesystem::file_size(fileName);

        if( fileSize != message.size() )
        throw std::exception("Bad result");

        }
        catch(std::exception& e)
        {
                std::cout << "Caught fatal error: " << e.what() <<
std::endl;
        }
        catch(...)
        {
                std::cout << "Caught unknown error" << std::endl;
        }

        std::cin.get(); // so the window stays up to view output

        return 0;
}

Output:
Caught fatal error: Unknown file.

You probably wanted to make your path C:\temp\test.txt, since it's a
Windows program, right?