From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-07 16:45:20

"Terry G" <tjgolubi_at_[hidden]> wrote

>> What, specifically, do you find painful?
>
> [...]
> i.e. painful because it makes me realize how stupid I still am, in spite
> of all my past successes. Printf and void* have served me well.

Well, look at this from a different angle: just how much smarter you can
become if you actually master all this stuff ;-)

>From my own experience: about seven years ago I almost switched to Java. I
read a Java book, cover-to-cover, and I came to realize one painful thing:

Programming is boring :-(

Thankfully my next book happened to be MC++D.

As for usefullnes of TMP, almost all of it is in the domain of library
development. I can't find any example where TMP would be useful outside
this domain. If you ask what can be done with TMP that can't be done
without it, the only answer I can think of would be: "I can develop a
library with such and such interface". This interface will be more
convenient, more intuitive, more type-safe, etc. OTOH, can you continue
programming with printf and void*, getting all your errors at runtime? Of
course you can.

But why?

Regards,
Arkadiy