From: Jason Nye (jnye_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-11-30 19:12:25

Hello all,

First of all, I want to say boost has been totally awesome for the
programming team in which I work. Kudos to everyone contributing!

For skimmers, #3 is the one that has a question related to it.

I'm trying to build boost 1.33.1 64-bit using VC-8 (team suite) and I've
run into some (minor) issues. They are:

1. The vc-8_0-x86_amd64-tools.jam does not refer to the correct
vcvars batch file. It specifies $(VC_ROOT)\bin\x86_amd64\VCVARSamd64.bat
but there isn't any such file. The proper file is
$(VC_ROOT)\bin\x86_amd64\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat
2. The thread library doesn't link because of the ice_wrapper used
in once.cpp (in compare_exchange line 119). Replacing the
compare_exchange with an actual call to InterlockedCompareExchange did
the trick. I believe this is because it is an intrinsic function.
3. This one is the most confusing to me: the abi prefix headers
perform #pragma pack(push, 8). No warnings pop up in 32-bit mode because
8 bytes is the default alignment. However, in 64-bit mode, the default
alignment is 16 bytes. Why would boost ever want to enforce a specific
packing? Is it safe for me to simply comment these out? I *really* don't
like the idea of enforcing an 8 byte alignment when the default is 16
bytes. Any comments here?

Thanks!

Jason.