From: Dan Leibovich (dan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-21 13:35:53

Hi,
I am trying to use the portable binary archive example.
I need to serialize only integers and strings.

I tried it on linux and solaris5.8. The result binary stream is not the
same and deserialization fails.

I used hex viewer and notice that the files are very similar except for
some few differences which results from endienness issues. Can it be
that the metadata is written differently on each platform.

This is happens when I serialize derived class through a pointer to base
class. (I used BOOS_CLASS_EXPORT)

Below you will find a test case. It produce differ output on linux and
solaris.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance
 Dan Leibovich

#include <fstream>
#include "portable_binary_oarchive.hpp"

#include <boost/serialization/base_object.hpp>
#include <boost/serialization/export.hpp>

class Base {
private:
    friend class boost::serialization::access;
    template<class Archive>
    void serialize(Archive & ar, const unsigned int version)
    {
        ar & x;
    }

protected:
    int x;

public:
  Base() {} ;
  Base(int x_) : x(x_) {} ;
  virtual void foo() {} ;
};

class Derived1 : public Base {
private:
  friend class boost::serialization::access;
  template<class Archive>
  void serialize(Archive & ar, const unsigned int version)
  {
    ar & boost::serialization::base_object<Base>(*this);
    ar & y;
  }
protected:
  int y;

public:
  Derived1() {} ;
  Derived1(int x_, int y_) : Base(x_), y(y_) {} ;
  virtual void foo() {x++;}
};

class Derived2 : public Base {
private:
  friend class boost::serialization::access;
  template<class Archive>
  void serialize(Archive & ar, const unsigned int version)
  {
    ar & boost::serialization::base_object<Base>(*this);
    ar & z;
  }
protected:
  bool z;

public:
  Derived2() {} ;
  Derived2(int x_) : Base(x_), z(true) {} ;
  virtual void foo() {x--;}
};

class Container {
  Base* b1 ;
  Base* b2 ;
  friend class boost::serialization::access;
  template<class Archive>
  void serialize(Archive & ar, const unsigned int version)
  {
    ar & b1;
    ar & b2 ;
  }