From: Randall Parker (techiepundit_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-11 13:44:04

This is a reply to an April 2006 thread with two questions:

1) Why does the
    myCond.wait( myMutex );
    call happen inside a while loop rather than in an if statement? I would have
expected that since one is waiting for the queue to get something put in it that the
condition would only get set if something was placed in the queue. if one returned
from the wait and found the queue empty I'd tend to want to log that as an internal
error.

2) Suppose one wants to wait on a queue with a timer so that one does not wait
forever. For example, suppose one wants to wait for a maximum of 1 second for
something to get placed on the queue. If one is using a timed_mutex then does the
same timer get used on the condition wait as on the mutex lock wait?

The first question is more a curiosity.

The second question is my real problem: How to wait on a queue which might or might
not be empty when I go to read it and where, if it is empty, I want to eventually
timeout on the wait. Does a condition "inherit" the timer for a timed_mutex?