From: Markus Werle (numerical.simulation_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-29 10:04:55

Scott Meyers <usenet <at> aristeia.com> writes:

> The result is awful, I'm sure, but speaking only for myself,
> I think this is a necessary stage in my scramble up
> the learning cliff.

I disagree in that this is necessary.

It would be nice if you write "Effective MPL" after you got through the
struggles (Yes, I do not copy, but really buy the books you write).
Thank you for asking the questions I hesitate to ask.

OTOH I find it interesting that we run into this problem again and again:
the most important thing in boost code is the what and why
of the design decisions and the possibility to get insight into
the new technologies applied.

So what we really need together with the tutorials and the documentation
is a wiki about the design and evolution of boost.
Then Eric Niebler could explain in depth why he needs
"static, aggregate initialization" in proto
(see <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.parsers.spirit.devel/2886/focus=2890>)
and why mpl does not fit for proto. Picking the pieces from the groups
is awkward.

I am trying to rewrite Daixtrose based on mpl, now all the cool programmers
of boost, even those of boost consulting, leap ahead without looking back
at their very own product.
It's not good to read about Mr. Meyers having trouble with one of the
most promising C++ libraries of the decade.

Markus, wide eyes mesmerized by all those trouble reports about mpl.