From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-13 11:56:18

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Jeff Garland wrote:
>
>> Sure, it's "Intellectual Property". The issue is getting proper
>> permission from all the presenters and the legalities to do that
>> correctly. We'd probably need to consult a lawyer, write a contract,
>> etc.
>
> Getting a permission from a copyright holder is easy, you don't need a
> contract for that, just a simple "I agree..." note and a signature. IANAL,
> of course.

Exactly, and neither are any of the program committee members. I've presented
tutorials at a few conferences. Like it or not, they all have release forms
drafted by lawyers to release rights to the materials. Folks that work for
'companies' often have a legal approval process to go thru before they can
even sign the release.

> But it's good enough for Boost; we don't even have the signatures
> of the copyright holders.

Understood. But, please keep in mind that this is our first year and there
are multiple things that would need to happen to be able to record and
distribute all the sessions. Permissions is one. Getting gear, people, etc
to record 2 simultaneous sessions is another. Distributing the sessions
videos is another. Overall, these things constitute a potential distraction
from our primary goal: to provide a good conference experience to those that
will be in Aspen. It's not impossible to imagine overcoming these things, but
we have enough to do to meet our primary obligation first.

Jeff